Golden Valley Study Group
   Home      Patties_Ground

Patties Ground by Brian Smith

 
 A derelict cottage stands on the border between the farmland of the old Poston estate and the steep woodland and scrub at the base of Vowchurch Common.  It is hidden among trees, including a massive yew, and despite some recent clearance of its long narrow orchard it is generally overgrown.  It appears to be typical of the cottages built on the Common in the late 18th or early 19th century.  Casual curiosity over the last 20 years revealed no one who could remember it being lived in, nor even its name, merely the memories that it had been empty for years and was last used as a pigsty. 
In the full article in the Newsletter, Brian Smith describes how he discovered more while carrying out other research which revealed that the cottage was inhabited by the Davies family in the 19th century. The plot was put up for sale in 2010, when it was named in the sales particulars as “Patties Ground”.
 
Further research revealed that, in his will of 1522, Thomas Apparri of Poston (whose monument is in Turnastone church) left various local properties to his wife Anne, including a wood called “Patyesgrene” in the parish of Vowchurch. The property also occurs in the marriage settlement of John Smyth of Hereford  (the youngest son of James Smyth of Wellbrook, Peterchurch) and his wife Jane Panicher, where it is described as ‘a messuage called The Hill or Patteys Grene’. The little derelict 1790-1800s cottage on Patties Ground is in fact the earliest property name recorded in any part of Vowchurch Common, long before the mention in 1684 of two cottages being built at Hazelland near Lunnon Farm and the subsequent building of more cottages on the fringes of the woodland in the first half of the 18th century.  
 
For further information, or to obtain a copy of the complete article by Brian Smith, please use the Contact Us link. 
 
The ruins of the cottage on Patties Ground in 2012